Thursday, September 6, 2007

What is a port?

A port is an implantable device that is used to allow easier infusions and blood tests. Well it sounds really yucky, to use that technical term. First, they take a piece of tubing and insert it into the blood vessel that runs down your arm, starting from your collar bone, to right above your heart. Then they make a 2" incision and insert this plastic port (I think it looks kind of like a Star Trek transponder but only 1" across) under your skin and attach it to the tube. It is supposed to make all these chemo infusions and blood tests easier because they don't have to dig around in my arm all the time. However, the idea of a tube into a major blood vessel to just above your heart sounds kind of freaky to me. This is what it looks like:

You can see more information at www.portadvantage.com and it shows how it is put in and all sorts of other gory details that I am not sure I want to know about.

Anyhow, that is what I am doing Monday morning??? I did read something originally that said it was done under LOCAL anesthesia. No, I will be put under thank you! It will be taken out as soon as chemo is done as well! Some people KEEP THEM IN! Yicky!

Otherwise, off for a walk. Too many naps recently and I haven't had time for my walk! Also, my temperature is 98.2, thank you for asking.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Glad to hear you're doing much better this round!

One of the chemo nurses showed me one of those ports. I prefer to remain stupid about where it is and how it's done, lol! I, too, will get this thing out as soon as I'm able! Seriously, it is much better than getting stuck everywhere. When is your procedure?

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...