Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Back pain update

Since I haven't whined about it enough I thought I would bring you all up to date on my back pain (instead of just whining about it). Basically, two degenerating discs - L3/L4 has asymmetric disc protrusion with mild stenosis and L5/S1 has a broad based disc bulge without significant stenosis. (Stenosis is a fancy word for squishing nerves into tinier spaces than they used to be in.) My back also has some instability where some days it was rotated and some days not. The PT has helped, particularly with the instability, but not as much with the pain in my back and hips and tingling down my legs.

I wake up some days in pain and sometimes in the middle of the night. I have pain meds and anti-inflammatories but still am not happy. Two more PT sessions and the probably off to the pain clinic for some other kinds of relief. The options that I know of aren't very good. Cortisone shots are only a temporary solution. Surgery for this type of thing is not necessarily successful in pain relief. I am not sure what else they can do. I don't want just another prescription. Does this make me happy? No. Does lack of sleep make me crabby? Yes. Grr, grr, grr. I am convinced my body came with a 40 year warranty and everything is now falling apart.

Otherwise, I am fine. No problems. Currently. I am sure something else will decide to act up as soon as we get this back mess under control. Triple, triple grr.

Anyway, yesterday I was pretty busy but did manage to arrange a job interview for Thursday morning. Today I am very busy. I will go to the gym now and then the vet is coming at 10 to check kitty's eye. Its not looking too good. But what if he loses sight in his eye (or even loses his eye)? How does that impact his quality of life if he only has one eye with which to inspect/supervise the bird feeder? After that, I am going to Boston (by subway) to go to some volunteer training at the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge. It should be interesting (and there will be snacks).

But that's my boring life. You just read about it. I just write about it.

PS No my crocus did not bloom yet. Sigh.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...