Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Sad Day

Yesterday morning while reading the paper, I stopped to read the death notices. My grandmother got me in this habit - she always wanted the fine print read to her because she wanted to find out if anyone else she knew had died - she was in her 90's. You would have to read the town names and she would tell you if she knew anyone in that town, if yes, then you had to read the names of the people, if no, you could go on to the next town. Needless to say, this started a bad habit on my part.

As I was reading, I realized that a friend from junior high school had died. He was someone I knew in junior high and high school because we were in the same classes. He also hung out with some other boys I knew. After college, a mutual friend was in a blues band. He would always sit at the bar and yell "Play Freebird" at the band. They would ignore him. Over ten years ago he moved to TX. Apparently he was living in Oregon and was married with step children and step grandchildren and died after a brief illness. That was a sad way to start my day. I thought I would have a day of remembering Andy for who he was. He was 49

Later on I got a call from a friend. Another friend's husband had died Monday night. Ric came home and found Shean dead in the kitchen. He tried to resuscitate him and called 911 but it was too late. We don't know the actual cause yet but maybe a heart attack. He was 39. This is very sad. Shean and Ric were happily married and very close. They were trying to finish redoing their bathroom but could never agree on everything so they spent more than a year with it partially done. His funeral is Saturday.

It was a very sad day for me.. Two people gone too young. I also think of my friend Jill who passed away about a month ago. Another friend my age, died last November. I think I am too young to lose so many friends so soon.

Today I will allow myself to be sad... I need it in their memory.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...