Thursday, May 22, 2008

A hairy tale

So I started this adventure with long hair. I was lazy. With long hair you can go get a trim every so often - 2 or 3 times per year - and its just fine. For years, I was lazy. I used to have short hair back in college and then as I got older (and busier) I got lazy and grew my hair out. It was light brown and it had a few strands of gray. I did not color it. It was easy to take care of. It was down to the middle of my back and I wore it in a ponytail. Think of the song Hair from the musical.

Then with chemo coming, I donated my hair to Locks of Love. I really didn't want to get my hair cut but chemo kind of required it. Long hair falling out would be pretty yucky. Short hair was bad enough. So then the chemo hair cut, produced the bald look. That lasted for entirely too long but could be camoflauged with my wig and lots of hats.

Then came the chia pet days... Where I had a short covering of hair, that was gray (well at least it wasn't green...) That took forever to grow out. I had to continue the wig and hats for quite a while. Finally that grew long enough so I could get a hair cut. At that point, I was told by my hairdresser (see now I have to have a hair dresser to get my hair styled and everything) that as you get better, your hair starts to grow faster. She assured me that it would return to a normal growth rate of about 1/2" per month.

Now my hair is getting longer but is curly and still gray. I think it resembles a sheep's butt. You can mess it up and it goes right back to the way it was. It is getting time for a hair cut (or a shearing). Now I am going to be stuck in that short hair cut loop where you have to go get your hair cut regularly so you don't look like a sheep's butt...

Do you see the resemblance?

Well I guess we can call it progress. It also means that I now have to replace my hair dryer. It broke just before chemo kicked in last summer... I didn't buy one before because I haven't needed one! I also have to start buying shampoo regularly as well as some kind of styling crap to keep the sheep's butt under control... Its better than the bald/wig thing! But I am not going to start coloring it. I have high hopes that the gray stuff will grow out and go away.

Anyhow time to get moving. I have lots to do today - a walk, work from home, make turkey meatloaf, go to work, plant the plants I bought yesterday, and something else that my little chemo brain can't remember. A friend asked me the other day, can I tell if its chemo brain making me be a space shot or just getting older? I said I can't tell but at least I have an excuse!

(sheep photo from freefoto.com)

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...