Friday, May 30, 2008

I am still learning

I spent my whole life with straight hair, and most of that time it was long. It was easy. Wash it, dry it, and stick it in a pony tail. Now all of a sudden, I have this short curly crap that if I don't do something with, looks like a sheep's butt. More recently I have noticed that sometimes it looks like a sheep's butt on one side, and is flattened on the other. In other words, it looks like bed head even if I did get up and wash it and brush it. Grrr... I will have to work on this. I am getting another cut next week. Perhaps that will help. (Or I could just shave it off and stick my wig back on... No, that would be a really BAD idea.)

Well, today I get to spend the morning at Lahey. First I have to pack my little bag of stuff. I will take with me a water bottle, a book, the puzzles from today's paper, the phone number of my friend who works there, a sweater for the over air conditioned areas, and my list of questions to ask the doctor. This is in addition to the list of allergies to medications and other upcoming appointments that I always bring. I also need to wear 'crushable' clothes - the ones you can take off, put in a locker while wearing the charming little gown, put back on, and then take off to put on another fashionable little gown. The idea is that at the end of my visit, I am not wearing a ton of wrinkles.

I am also getting mentally prepared for lots of waiting around. First for the mammogram, its check in at the desk and be seated. Then your name is called and you are given a fashionable gown to wear and a clip board with a form to fill out. Then you fill out your form and wait. Then you go for the mammogram and then go back to the waiting room and wait. Then they finally let you go get dressed again. then I hope to see my friend but will eventually end up at the surgeon's office upstairs where I check in and wait. Then the nurse calls your name and has you get changed and wait in a tiny little room. Then finally I will see the doctor. And then come home. I have to leave here about 820 am and hope to be home by noon but am not counting on it. This is why I am bringing so many things with me. The mammogram department is actually one of the best places to find magazines that I have seen in Lahey. The chemo area is actually pretty good as well. The surgeon's waiting area usually has about 2 golf magazines and 2 parenting magazines. I think I go there too much if I know where the best magazines are stashed.

After all those fun and games I will come home and work from home before going for a walk with a friend. Damn, I have to figure out how to fit in some weeding as well.

An interlude into the world of the brainless taken from my life this morning:

Walter: "Is tomorrow trash day?"
Me: "Yes", thinking it is Thursday, even though I have known my doctor appointments are on Friday.
Walter leaves for work.
I realize its Friday and say "Damn. Why did I tell him that? Now I have to put the trash out." Then I check the calendar and remember that Monday was a holiday so trash day is tomorrow. Where is my brain???? If you happen to see it anywhere, please send it home. Thank you.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...